Author: Traci
•3:41 PM
The news from our Dr's appointment last Friday was mixed.  We had hoped to do an IUI the following Monday if the ultrasound looked good.  The ultrasound showed beautiful eggs, my uterine lining however was about 1/2 the thickness it should be.  Why is this good news?  Because that is what I have been saying for a year now.  I'm not crazy!  I know my body quite well.  What a relief.

I was a bad girl when I was left home alone earlier in the cycle.  I had some leftover Clomid and no self control.  I took it in hopes that I would increase our chances of getting pregnant during our 1st attempt at an IUI.  Why is this bad?  Because I had fought long and hard to do an unmedicated IUI.  My friend's Mom (the nurse for my new doc) advocated for me and the doctor finally agreed.  So I sang like a canary during the ultrasound.  There was no hiding what I had done.  2 big beautiful eggs on my right ovary and 4 smaller ones on the left.  This scares the bejesus out of Jim, but that's another story.

So we were given the option to go ahead with the IUI even though the chances of success were very slim.  We decided to pass for this cycle.  Darn elusive IUI.  As I sat across the desk from the Dr trying to listen to crap that I already knew he did something that gained my confidence.  He printed out a spreadsheet with the day by day game plan for the next cycle.  Holy guacamole, now he has my attention.

He goes on to explain how Clomid (drug used to produce big beautiful eggs) blocks a woman's estrogen receptors and tricks the body into producing more.  However, for some women this is not a good thing because it also blocks the estrogen receptors in the uterine lining which prevents it from thickening properly.  So in a nutshell Clomid is like birth control pills for me.

Can he fix it?  Again, he did something that made me hopeful.   I like a little cockiness in my doctors.  He looked over my file, nodded, and said "I can do this".

The plan for next cycle is counter-intuitive, but I'll go with it.  I decided to let him be the doctor and I will be the patient.  Shocking, I know.  I will still take Clomid to produce beautiful eggs (even though I ovulate on my own thank you very much).  We will follow that up with injectibles to build up my lining.  Then once we trigger ovulation (with another injection in the belly) they will put estrogen patches on me and I will take progesterone supplements.  That in theory will give me beautiful eggs + a beautiful lining.  All of this will save us over $1000 compared to if we went straight to injectibles only.  It's worth a try.

At this point I am hopeful and feel like we are on our way, but I'm also fearful because if we can not correct my pitiful excuse of a uterine lining then it's game over.  I will not be a candidate for Invitro Fertilization because a thin lining will not support a pregnancy.  My previous loses and clomid have left my poor womb with a closed for business sign.  So right now it's a crap shoot.  Will the doctor be able to do a remodeling project and make it good as new or will it be condemned?

I'm not even going to say that we will do an IUI next cycle because Murphy's Law runs very strong in my life.  Damn you all to hell Murphy.
|
This entry was posted on 3:41 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

On February 18, 2010 at 9:40 PM , Anonymous said...

Oh Traci, I am confident that the doctor can fix your lining issue. I have no knowledge of your situation other than what you have shared, but I do feel positive for you. Please stay strong and hang on to the words 'I can do this'. Don't lose hope, honey. You're not alone in this fight. You don't even know me but I'm walking this path of fear and unknown with you every day. Stay strong, stay positive!!

Amy

 
On May 19, 2010 at 12:10 PM , Emily said...

traci, whats new ? we want more bloggin !