Author: Traci
•7:06 PM
It's true this past year and a half has been very challenging, but we have found humor in the simplest of things.  We don't have any pets for various reasons, but both love animals.  If I need a dose of puppy love we go to the pet store down the road where the sales people are all too eager to put a sweet puppy in my arms.  Right now I am in love with English Bulldogs.  Just love their little smooshed up faces and bow legs.  Jim thinks they are the ugliest animals on the planet.  Whatever.

Ever since I can remember, I have had a habit giving animals names and personalities.  I renamed Patches, our former neighbor's cat.  JC seemed to suit him better.  JC stands for jungle cat.  Our backyards backed up to a tree line and JC loved to stalk the many small creatures that lurked back there.  I could have spent all afternoon watching that crazy cat.  I missed him when we moved to our new home.  How would I amuse myself now?

It wasn't long before my new "pet" made his appearance.  A plump squirrel that I named Doug.  He reminds me of the character on King of Queens.  Food is his top priority and he is not the most nimble of his species.  Every morning I watch Doug run along the tree line in our backyard.  He throws him self with reckless abandon from tree to tree.  Most of the time he misses the branch he was aiming for and drops a couple of branches before he recovers.  Definately does not operate in stealth mode as you can clearly see the branches drop from his considerable squirrel gerth as he plunks onto them.

This is how I spent my morning yesterday.  I didn't even bother turning on the tv since daytime tv sucks.  I just watched Doug and managed to capture him in a flurry of fall activity.








Doug is always a welcome diversion.  He allows my mind time to wander away from the thoughts that generally consume my waking hours.  Thank you Oh Titan of the Tree Limbs.  I'll miss you this winter.
|
This entry was posted on 7:06 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: