Author: Traci
•8:02 AM
What's a girl have to do to get an IUI around here?  It's time to start planning this cycle and deciding on which Dr we want to guide us through this.

The first Dr I went to started out wonderful.  Jim and I both felt comfortable there and loved the straightforward talk from one of his nurses.  They ran every test they could think of to figure out what is going wrong.  It was immediate action, no wasted visits.  I felt my co-pay was well spent.  No waiting for hours in waiting rooms and exam rooms.  I did 3 monitored cycles of Clomid with this Dr and each month he oooh'd and aaah'd over the "beautiful" follicles I was producing.  When the 3rd cycle didn't work I called in to see what the plan was for the next cycle.  I did not get to talk to my favorite nurse, but instead had to talk to the one that seems to get confused.  She said the plan was injectibles with TI (timed intercourse) because I don't ovulate on my own.  Ummmm excuse me?  I do too ovulate on my own.  I've been pregnant twice in the past 6 months all on my own, well with some help from my husband of course.  I was so frustrated with her and trying to conceive that I decided I needed a break.

The break didn't last long when I heard about an OB Gyn who specializes in fertility.  I made an appt.  His credentials are fabulous.  His ability to be on time is not.  We waited for over an hour in the waiting room and then another 40 minutes in his office for a consultation.  When he finally came running in (literally) he barely came up for air.  I had to interrupt to tell him why we were there and what I wanted him to do for us.  He is one of the original docs to work with MTHFR (the blood clotting disorder that I have).  In fact he was interviewed on Discovery Health as an expert about it.  "I'm going to throw the kitchen sink at you."  "I want you on Heparin and possibly progesterone, I want to err on the side of caution".  The thought of injecting myself twice a day with Heparin scared me - more than a little.  Not to mention the expense, it will cost over $100 per month.

The 2nd visit with this doc went better.  Still a very long wait, but this time I had his full attention.  He discovered things in minutes that the other doc never mentioned.  He listened and let me have a say so in my care plan.  However, at that time he didn't not have his fertility practice all under one roof so there would be a lot of running around town just to do an IUI.  We decided to wait until his fertility clinic opens in November.

Another cycle came and went without any success.  November seemed so far away so it was off to doc number 3.  He completely frustrated both Jim and me.  He wants to re-run tests that I just had and am still paying for.  Expensive, painful tests that I showed him the results of.  One I even had the 3D color images from.  He refused to do an ultrasound which is pretty much standard procedure.  Instead he did a manual exam that was very uncomfortable.  When he finished he said "Good news, your tonsils feel great".  I didn't laugh.  We discussed what was next and it did not include making a baby.  It was more tests.  More wasted time.  Bleh.

Another cycle has come and gone.  It's time to take action, but I'm not sure which doc to trust.  I'm a planner and I just don't have a plan for this one.
|
This entry was posted on 8:02 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

On October 4, 2009 at 8:13 AM , The Swann's said...

I didn't think Dr S was going to do IUI at the clinic?? I understood it was only for IVF and he would even do some monitoring at the Ob/Gyn office... Interesting.

I was going to call you today to discuss just this topic! Who do you go to? I almost feel like I should wipe the slate clean and just go to another Dr! haha! Let's just see how many Dr we can have working for us at once! hahaha! OKay.

I think IUI sounds great... And if you still need the meds they are waiting for you! :-)